Holy Rosary Catholic School earned an “A” rating from the Indiana Department of Education! Grades are based on both performance and growth measures. We are proud to share that our students continue to achieve significant growth in both English/Language Arts and Math! Our A is evidence of the continued dedication, hard work, and partnership of Holy Rosary faculty, students, and families! While this recognition is based on academic measures, we know that this achievement is also because we are blessed at Holy Rosary to work together in a community of faith to care for the whole child. We are grateful for the support and prayers of our parish community for the ministry of our school. We know that this ministry would not be possible without the partnership of our families and parish community! Congratulations Holy Rosary Rams!
About Holy Rosary
HOLY ROSARY AN "A" SCHOOL
Bishop Henry Grimmelsman, the first Bishop of the Evansville Catholic Diocese, being a strong supporter of Catholic education, wanted every Catholic child in the diocese to have the opportunity to receive a Catholic education. To further that goal, the Bishop began construction of several new parishes and schools. In 1950, Holy Rosary Parish was established with Monsignor Maurelius Bilskie as its first pastor. Under his leadership the parish grew from a small parish in the midst of cornfields and gravel roads to be the largest Eastside parish in the midst of Evansville’s suburban expansion. In 1950, Holy Rosary Parish began building its temporary church building. It was renovated in 1995 and it now houses the school’s computer lab, science lab and library. Holy Rosary Parish opened its school on September 8, 1953. Since that time, it has undergone several additions and renovations. In 1961, an additional eight classrooms were built; in 1988 another wing with a gym, kindergarten rooms, and office space was added; most recently, in 2001, the Children’s Center was renovated to provide space for preschool aged children. In 1953, Holy Rosary School was completely staffed by the Benedictine sisters from the Monastery of the Immaculate Conception in Ferdinand, Indiana. The school is now completely staffed by lay men and women; however the Benedictine tradition of “Prayer and Work” is still very much a part of the school’s tradition. Central to this school is its faith–the Catholic tradition. “Christ is the reason for this school.” In 1975, the first Mass was said in the new Holy Rosary Church. This church replaced the temporary church built in 1950. Liturgies are celebrated weekly in this church with the school children. The Church has become the symbol of our commitment to providing a Christian atmosphere in which to grow and learn.